Friday, September 17, 2010

Finding Fall Here

Let me give it to you straight: I think Summer is over. All through the marine-layer laden last few months, I was holding the hope in my heart that we would have a killer Indian Summer come September, but alas, I almost froze to death in my quilt-less bed last night, and now I'm looking out the window at a dull grey sky.
But let's not dwell on the negative now, shall we? 
I actually adore Fall. Growing up in a place without true seasons, I looked to a venerable and highly revered source to learn about Fall: The J. Crew catalog. And I learned that it meant cuddling on the couch with my dog and my handsome husband at the Lake House in my Cashmere Popover Hoodie in Burnt Sienna, reading the newspaper, drinking coffee,  having perfect teeth and a lot of fun.
Oh you marketing geniuses at J. Crew. 
My feeble and impressionable mind still clings to these imaginary scenarios which will be forever burned into my brain, and I get very excited when the weather turns cold, which here in Santa Barbara means 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Much to the chagrin of my 17 year old self, I didn't grow up to live in a J. Crew catalog,  but there are certain things to do around town that help me get in the Fall mindset:

I don't know about you, but I know it's Fall when I have the urge to start knitting. This year I'm determined  to learn to make something  other than  a scarf (like maybe a blanket?). Knit and Pearl Boutique has beautiful natural fiber yarns and offers an array of classes as well as Knitting Social Nights every Monday. Check out their blog for updates and classes.


5 E. Figueroa St., Santa Barbara
My Fall Heaven





I find a very strong cup of coffee can be just as helpful as prescription drugs  when Seasonal Affective Disorder kicks in, so you will probably find me hanging out at The French Press sipping on one of these:

Amanda S., via Yelp

 1101 State Street, Santa Barbara

The French Press serves Verve Coffee which is actually french-pressed and everyone who works there is friendly and artsy-looking. If you squint your eyes, you could pretend you're in Austin or Portland. They have two patios where you can read, write, or pretend to read and write while people watching. 



September will always remind me of going back to school, even as I'm approaching 30, but now I get to read for pleasure rather than homework. I love libraries (it's FREE!) and frequently boast about my collection of library cards hailing from San Francisco to Albuquerque to Grenoble. Having a lot of library cards means I'm very intelligent.

The Santa Barbara Central Library has it's own distinct brand of cool and (besides books) offers everything from muttering homeless people to hip librarians (check out the staff picks blog!) to an extensive music selection. The have a lovely Great Room to curl up and read in, but disinfect the chair first and don't fall asleep or you'll get kicked out. 

This is not the Santa Barbara Library

This is the Santa Barbara Library.



I barely got to break out my bikini this past summer, but I'm going to just accept it and move on. Now it's time for writing, reading, cooking soup, knitting and general hibernation. What is it about Fall that makes me feel so domestic? Did I really just say cooking? 


This time with you, dear reader, has been lovely, but I must get back to the cabin now to look thoughtfully out the window and write love letters to my handsome and scholarly boyfriend in a comfortable Heather Grey Schoolboy Blazer. Talk to you soon.



Love,
Meg

3 comments:

  1. as always a great story well told
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. that library looks beautiful!! i want that schoolboy jacket....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness... this is hilarious... so perfectly put:)

    ReplyDelete