Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Random Store

Surprise, surprise, my lack of discipline and inability to commit has revealed itself in my very infrequent blog posts. Bloggin's hard, y'all. I'm trying.

Today I want to talk to you about the Random Store in Santa Barbara. At 1207 State Street, it's conveniently located next to McDonalds for maximum bum interaction and harassment. You won't know that it's called the Random Store, as the storefront lacks any kind of signage, but when you see the chaotic window displays of large wood sculptures, bizarre doll collections and blown glass knick-knacks, you'll know you've found it.


If you like a treasure hunt, this is the place for you. They are constantly bringing in new items from "auctions, leftovers, surplus, odd lots, tag sales and other (legal) means", according to their website. I cannot believe this place has a website. 

One time I found several beautiful Moroccan rugs strewn over some old comic books in the back. The 4X6 rugs were $25 and the 8X10 was $45. I don't know much about rugs, but I knew this was a deal. I walked home to get my car, and when I came back they were gone. "Some lady bought them all up", the Ichabod Crane-like employee shared. I was bummed. And I was considerably more bummed when I found them--the same rugs, to be sure-- for sale at Wendy Foster in Montecito for $4,000 a week later. Hmph.

You can find Good:





Bad:



Questionable/Awesome:


Bizarre:

and I forgot to mention, Plumbing Supplies:



See you there.

3 comments:

  1. i would like that whale snack dish, please. put it on hold for me. that's a snack dish, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you have categorized the things you found in to pictorial sections... in particular "Questionable/Awesome". That is so true and happens a lot at random. Nice work and I look forward to new findings! I feel like a lot of these things would work in my house! I'm just saying, don't go thinking you need to buy me stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work there back in the nineties, and it was so much fun. Glen, the owner is a great guy.

    James (U.K.)

    ReplyDelete