Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Imaginary Road Trip

This has been the coldest, grayest Santa Barbara summer I have ever known. I would love nothing more
than to throw my ennui to the wind and fog and drive my imaginary 1966 Thunderbird convertible to the desert to warm my bones and lift my spirits. But I have this yob, see, and while I would love nothing more than to shirk social mores and say "F.U.!" to being a  productive member of society, I really like to eat food and buy things, and to do that I need money, and to get money I need the yob. So I'm going to take us on a Full On Imaginary Desert Road Trip!


First things first, we have to make sure we look good, so lets get some killer Desert Road Trip threads from Sarah at Magnolia Family Vintage.
This poncho will look perfect on you.

I've been dying to get this romper.


We can take turns sharing this radical southwestern themed sweater!


 Are you ready to go? Hit play for some tunes, and let's ride!




We'll get to  Joshua Tree just in time for Sunset!


We can pull  into  Room 8 and channel the spirit of Gram Parsons

The Innkeepers Margo and Yvo will make sure we have a groovy time.


We'll roll out of bed and wander over to the Beatnik Cafe.  Sin City is playing on the jukebox! What does it mean?! Do you think he heard us from the other realm?







We can spend the day thrifting 
(photo Joel Carranza)

or checking out the crochet museum
(Joel Carranza)


or doing an impromptu photo shoot


We can hang out with this cute couple in their sick Westy!
(Photo: Kirsten Ellis)

It's been a long day of desert fun. Let's head to Pappy and Harriets for a beer and see who's playing tonight. Oh man, we lucked out! It's Dead Rock West, and they're playing my favorite song!




Next we'll  go to Tucson to visit Nick and January. I miss them.

We can shop here

and we can stalk Neko Case because she bought something from my company and I have her address now. Don't tell anyone!

 
God she's cool.


This is the best Imaginary Road Trip EVER! The open road makes me feel so FREE! This is what life is supposed to feel like.  I think we need to talk.




Oh my god, you're RIGHT! How could I forget that Leslie and the Badgers are coming to Muddy Waters on Sunday?

(Asa Gilmore)



Okay, well I guess we don't have to pull a Thelma and Louise after all. Let's turn this boat around and head west Friends! Thanks for coming along, and see you at Muddy Waters on Sunday, August 15 for Leslie and the Badgers.


Lets rest up after such a long trip. Sweet butterfly dreams! 
(Photo Jaqueline Rivera)




You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.  ~Mark Twain




7 comments:

  1. this is just amazing...i hope you have room for 1 more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, love the trip ideas. makes me feel like i've been there and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loooove this whole post. Even the parts that aren't MFV! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'all i know' is the RADDEST desert song!

    ReplyDelete