Thursday, March 24, 2011

Magic at Alpha Thrift

The two Alpha Thrift stores on Hollister Ave in Goleta deserve their own lengthy and enthusiastic blog post, which is forthcoming, I swear. But for now, I offer just a little taste of the magic that happens when you walk through those doors.



A few weeks ago, as I was jamming to the Sheena Easton being piped in on the store's speakers and perusing the selection of 1990's Talbots jackets, when I ran smack dab into this thing:



It literally took my breath away. I wanted to launch my body onto it like a hero jumping on a grenade, only I would be yelling "MINE. BACK OFF" and being an asshole rather than saving lives. 

The price tag? $189.00. 

I threw this photo up on the Facebook, imploring someone with space to buy it and allow me visitation rights. I got at least 7 comments. It was a big deal.



So when I went back yesterday, looking to add to my growing wardrobe of preppy-older-lady wear, I wasn't surprised when it was gone. I was sure some hip young couple had snatched this thing up and taken it back to their über-Eames-y home in Eagle Rock. Until I rounded the corner, and:


Uh. Mah GOD SOMEBODY GO BUY THIS THING FOR GOD'S SAKE. 5624 Hollister Avenue. 


1 comment: